Operate a rigid body dump truck
Unit Standard (SAQA Reg. No 262731)
Rigid dump trucks, also known as a tipper trucks, allow you to transport large quantities of abrasive materials and rocks. This high capacity is ideal for long hauls across flat terrain, particularly quarries and mines.
Operators who are not adequately trained in rigid dump truck operations are at great risk of injury because of their lack of understanding in the principles of operations. Training is a vital issue and operations are prohibited by unauthorized and untrained persons.
Successful learner of this standard will be able to;
- Demonstrating knowledge of the functions of a rigid body dump truck.
- Planning for work activities and prepare work area.
- Starting and shutting down rigid body dump truck. Operating rigid body dump truck.
- Transporting rigid body dump truck to and from site.
- 5 Days Novice
- 1 Day Re-certification
NQF LEVEL: 2
Quality Assured Partner: Construction Education And Training Authority
The qualifying learner will be able to operate a rigid body dump truck by understanding the functions of starting, shutting down and operating procedures for the machine. Learners who master the applied competence described in this course will contribute to the development of a professional community of Construction Plant operators. The area of focus of this programme will be;
Parts & Functions
Monitor Display Unit-Default Display Menu
Electronic Monitoring System (Ems)
General Safety Information
Crushing And Burn Prevention
Fire & Explosion Prevention
Machine Start Up Safety
Engine Start Up And Operating Safety
Machine Operating Safety
Machine Parking Safety
Machine Transporting Safety
Machine Towing Safety
Precautions For Maintenance
Keep Work Place Clean And Tidy
Appoint Leader When Working With Others
Two Workers For Maintenance When Engine Is Running
Work Under The Machine
Precautions When Using Hammer
Removing Battery Terminal
Precautions With High-Pressure Oil
Handling High-Pressure Hoses
Maintenance Of Air Conditioner
Periodic Replacement Of Safety Critical Parts
Precautions With Tyres
Precautions When Storing Tyres
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Pre-Start Checks
- Walk-Around Check
- Start Up Checks
- Pre-Shift Checklist Rigid Dump Trucks
- Logbooks & Other Checklists
Principles Of Operation
- Retarding Guidelines
- Loose Material
- Building Material
- Purpose And Functions Of Parts
- Steering System
- Load Body
- Hydraulic Tipping
- Hydraulic System
- Fuel System
- Electrical System
- Braking System
- Cooling System
- Other Machines
- Warning Devices
- Operating Techniques
- Braking Operation
- Machine Travelling
- Stop Engine
- Leave The Machine
- General Driving
- Vehicle Control
- Practical Exercises
.Entry level requirements into this programme?
All new entrants intended under this code (Novice or Re-licensing) shall provide training institution with the required documents.
- An employer declaration or medical certificate confirming the medical fitness of the learner to undergo the intended training
- An eye test results issued by a person trained to carry out such tests
- All new entrants intended under this code will be required to hold at least a Grade 9 (Std 7) school certificate and are at least 18 years of age.
- Learners shall provide training institution with a valid certified copy of his/her Identity Document.