Operate a continuous bucket trencher
Unit Standard (SAQA Reg. No 262732)
Continuous trenchers are like an excavator as they serve the same purpose of breaking soil and rock and removing it from the ground. However, unlike excavators trenchers can remove the soil in a continuous movement. Often used to dig trenches for pipes or cutting through rocks there are various sizes of trenches, allowing them to accommodate many different project requirements. This course covers conducting continuous bucket trencher operations in the civil construction industry.
Successful candidates credited with this unit standard are able to:
- Demonstrating knowledge of the functions of a continuous bucket trencher.
- Planning for work activities and prepare work area.
- Starting and shutting down continuous bucket trencher.
- Operating continuous bucket trencher.
- Transporting continuous bucket trencher to and from site.
- 5 Days Novice
- 1 Day Re-certification
NQF LEVEL: 2
Quality Assured Partner: Construction Education And Training Authority
The qualifying learner will be able to operate a continuous bucket trencher by understanding the functions of starting, shutting down and operating procedures for the machine. Learners who master the applied competence described in this course will contribute to the development of a professional community of Construction Plant operators. The area of focus of this course will be;
Entry level requirements into this programme?
All new entrants intended under this code (Novice or Re-licensing) shall provide training institution with the required documents.
- An employer declaration or medical certificate confirming the medical fitness of the learner to undergo the intended training
- An eye test results issued by a person trained to carry out such tests
- All new entrants intended under this code will be required to hold at least a Grade 9 (Std 7) school certificate and are at least 18 years of age.
- Learners shall provide training institution with a valid certified copy of his/her Identity Document